Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Martial Arts Is Life

Tom Callos has been making the phrase "Out of the Dojo (Kwoon) and into the world." an important phrase to lots of martial artists. I never had that phrase to describe my thinking process, but when I heard the phrase I realized that has been my approach for a long time now.

In everything I do, I do my best when I use the same principles that lead to success in martial arts training, performing, or competing. I try to drive like a martial artist, spend money like a martial artist, play guitar like a martial artist, and so with all I do.

Basic principles in the martial arts include the idea of efficiency of movement. When performing a movement in the martial arts I want none of the movement I make to be extraneous. I want no wasted energy. The same applies when I drive. When I'm at a series of traffic lights it makes no sense to me to stomp on the gas to drive up to the next light just so I can stomp on the brake to stop on time. That wastes fuel, and brake pads. There are times in driving when a sudden acceleration can save you, but most of the time it isn't needed. Knowing how to drive efficiently is driving like a martial artist.

Grandmaster Tom Pardue has always said, "Defend yourself at all times." That is a phrase I have carried over to my spending habits. If I were to go out and buy everything I wanted, I'd have one heck of a Transformers collection, but I'd wind up losing my house due to debt that I would build up. Developing good money habits is spending like a martial artist.

When I perform a Kung Fu form; with or without an audience, my goal is to find that place where I give myself over to the performance. Part of being able to do that is having practiced the form so much that not much conscious thought is required. Playing a classical guitar piece is the same thing. When I have practiced a piece to the point that I don't have to worry about what is the next note, the next chord, the next fingering then my mind can surrender to the music at that point it is all about expression. That is playing guitar like a martial artist.

So, in everything you do, be a martial artist.

Sifu Steven O'Nan

No comments: