Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fast Food

We live in a fast food society. We thrive on instant gratification.

Have you ever gone over to the microwave, frustrated that the baked potatoes aren't done yet? Do you have any idea how long they take in a conventional oven?

We put a meal in the microwave, then anxiously tap our feet for the grueling two minutes we have to wait.

We growl and curse as we sit at the fast food window for three minutes and thirty seconds. "What is TAKING so long!?!?"

Take a moment today to slow down. Stop and smell the roses, literally if you want. Today I saw something I had never seen before. I had never stopped long enough to notice that the Eastern Red Cedar bursts forth in little blue berries. So I stopped. I looked.

So today,

stop.

Look.


2 comments:

Anne said...

A supporting nature comment: Another fascinating thing about those little blue berries on the cedar is that, if you watch closely at just the right time of the year, a flock of cedar waxwings will appear, strip it of those berries, and disappear again, all in the space of an hour.

Mama Gina said...

I've seen those berries. :)
but, didnt know about the waxwings! cool!