Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Master

In martial arts circles, one hears the word "master" a lot. Most of the time it is used as a title, such as; Master so and so will be here this week; or I learned from Master such and such. . .

In some cases that title is thrown around too easily, and in a few cases (still too many) a martial artist gives him/herself that title.

This is all coming to my mind because someday, my sifu will put that title on a certificate with my name, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I've been doing a lot of thinking about it, and have found my peace.

I choose not to think of it as a title.

I choose not to think of it as a noun.

I choose to think of it as a verb.

Master Steven O'Nan.

That is one powerful verb, and one powerful call to action don't you think?

No comments: