Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tournament Training

I've officially started training for the tournament. This is unusual for me. Although I've gone to one or two tournaments a year for the past several years, it has been a long time since I actually decided I was going to play to win. In the recent past, I've picked my competition forms the week of the tournament, sometimes the night before the tournament. Not this time, this time I am preparing my sets starting now, two months ahead of time.

I'm also preparing for the continuous sparring. I have changed my cardio from two minute rounds with a one minute break, to 45 second rounds with a 15 second break. It makes for a different workout. It is more intense action over a shorter period of time. The last time I sparred in a tournament I was doing long cardio sessions, and long sparring sessions, this trained me to pace myself for long periods instead of pushing harder for the two minute rounds in that tournament.

The truth is, I still don't care if I win or not. This time, I am going to enjoy the training a lot more.

No comments: