Tuesday, August 17, 2010

When I Will Retire From Competition.

Lately, with every tournament I compete in, I wonder afterwards how many more I will do. You see, there just aren't many instructors out there competing. There really aren't many school owners out there competing. It all makes me wonder what it seems like to others for me, a school owner/instructor to still be out there competing.

Some may think I have something to prove to others, that I'm out there to make a point. Some may think I have something to prove to myself. Neither of these is the case, and it really doesn't matter what people think. What matters is what I and my students stand to benefit from me competing.

You see, every time I have competed so far, I have learned something about myself, about competing, about running a competition, about training for competition, about my art, and the list goes on.

So I guess the answer is that I will continue competing for as long as it continues to make me a better martial artist, and a better martial arts instructor.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Did you check the ages of your competitors? I'm just sayin' -- there aren't many your age who still push themselves as you do. Perhaps most school owners do not actively seek ways to sharpen their skills and challenge their own mastery. I think your performance and attitude send ripples out in the waters of instructors and encourage thoughts of benefits rather than risks of performance. Even if you participated in the masters' demonstrations instead of competed, those ripples would still go out.